So when you are travelling for lengthy periods or on holiday, it’s so hard to keep active and to keep your fitness up. You’ve worked hard for you summer beach body but as your holiday progresses and you are enjoying all the wonderful food and night life, your beach body is rapidly slipping away at lighting speed.
You’re on holiday…. of course you don’t want to do a full on, sweating your eyebrows off work out. Who would want to?! But if you’re like me and hate it when you start to feel heavier and less toned, there are some easy steps and exercises that I’m going to share with you that I use to help keep myself in shape and feel that little bit fitter.
- Take the stairs! Easiest exercise ever…run, walk, lunge do anything but take the lift.
- Pool workouts! If you are at a hotel that runs aqua actitvites do it! You are still in the sunshine but burning a few extra calories before eating them all again that evening. Even if your hotel doesn’t run aqua activities do them yourself! Go for a swim or do some jump squats in the pool (it works you harder in the water too) 3 sets of 15 reps will be done in no time; who cares who’s watching? They’ll all be sunning themselves anyway.
- Portion control! This is crazy important and one I struggle with the most, like lots of people do I suppose. Especially on holiday but there is no point in doing your exercises and then going to an all you can eat Chinese buffet…15 plates later you’ll regret it. I’m not saying don’t have the good stuff, by all means go ahead, enjoy the sweet yummy thing and the cultured food. JUST HAVE LESS! It’s that simple. Hard to do I know but it’s a good thought to keep reminding yourself.
- Drink more WATER! Most of the time you’re thirsty when feeling hungry. Drink at least 2 litres a day! Especially before meal times.
- Plank for 2 minutes! When you get up in the morning wherever you are just hold the plank for 2+ minutes. No gym necessary, just do as long as you can, maybe even try different variations.
- Ever heard people saying let’s do ‘Bring Sally up, Bring Sally down‘? Well it’s a great 3.30 track called Flower by Moby. Basically, everytime she sings ‘up’ you go up when she sings ‘down’ down you go. On the breakdown (claps) I like to pulse. You can do this with sit ups, push ups or squats. It’s a great little exercises. Give it ago!
Hopefully for those who are reading this, you would have found some of these tips helpful. I find doing little exercises everyday, throughout the day and making better choices e.g stairs and halving the cake instead of eating the whole one, really help me to stay in shape when on holiday and it’s a pretty good feeling, knowing you are just as fit at the end of the holiday as when you started it!